Pickapaw Buyer Guide
Our Pickapaw breeders share our values of responsible breeding and as a community we are working towards making this a norm. We strongly believe that animals deserve to be introduced to new families with more dignity.
Here are the reasons why you should get an animal from our community member:
Our breeders are professionals with years of experience. They have dedicated their lives to learning about the breed, health, care and training of animals. We believe that everyone deserves a professional service, especially in this industry. Our members possess invaluable expertise and knowledge about the animals and this is a great resource to tap into.
A pet is a family member. This is why it is so important to make a right choice and find a responsible and reputable breeder. Pickapaw breeders have a reputation to uphold in the show ring and at working trials. They care about every customer and their pets and strive to breed only the best examples of their breed. If the customer can not longer keep the pet, the responsible breeder will always take the animal back. Pickapaw has a reputational system that consists of reviews and ratings which allows public to assess breeders. This is an incentive for breeders to provide the best service and experience for the customers. All of them have agreed to abide by our Pickapaw Code of Ethics.
Convenience and Security
We now offer an integrated payment system for puppy/kitten reservation deposits on our platform. We will also keep track of your transactions in case you will need this information.
Pickapaw is a place where buyers can not only find an ethical and responsible breeder, but also build a relationship with the breeder and get ongoing support. Majority of our breeders offer life-time support for the animals bred.
Avoid puppy mills
Finding a breeder is a complicated process. With abundance of Puppy Mills in North America it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a breeder who is truly passionate and cares about the animals. Pickapaw is our battlefield against puppy and kitten mills and an attempt to improve the breeding community. The majority of Pickapaw breeders will only breed when they receive sufficient number of enquiries. Responsible breeding is complicated and expensive and ethical breeders do it out of love and passion for their breed, not out of financial incentives. Do not settle for anything less than an experienced and responsible breeder. We as a society spend so much time choosing the best doctors, cars, insurance, schools etc. Getting a new family member should be treated seriously as well.
No one can guarantee you that your animal will never have a medical problem, but buying from a responsible breeder increases you chances of getting a healthy and well adjusted pet. Animals sold by puppy and kitten mills are often unhealthy and end up in animal shelters. Our breeders perform genetic health testing which we believe is very important for purebred dogs. Breeding healthy pets (and most of our breeders carry out health testing prior to breeding) is key in reducing the risk of pet illnesses and hence the emotional distress and suffering of the family and animal. Providing the puppies/kittens with the best possible quality of life is one of the main priorities for our breeders.
How to Buy Responsibly
Bringing a new pet into your family requires a long-term commitment of time, funds and above all energy. Please do think about this carefully and do your research on different pet breeds and breeders. To purchase responsibly and to maximise the chances of getting a healthy well adjusted addition to your family, please follow these guidelines:
- We do our best to only allow responsible and ethical breeders on the website. That said, we do not visit every breeder’s home (not yet!), hence the buyer should make all necessary checks prior to any purchase.
- Pick your breed carefully, taking into account your lifestyle and personal preferences. Talk to owners of different breeds and do your research. The responsible breeder will be happy to discuss the breed’s characteristics and special requirements with you to make sure that you choose the breed that is right for you. Read our blogs How to Buy a Pet from Responsible Breeder and What You Need to Know Before Getting a Puppy or Kitten.
- While every breed displays certain attributes as a whole, not every animal produced in that breed will have exactly the same temperament. So don’t forget to inquire about the animal’s personality and also check out the rest of the litter!
- The responsible breeder will ask you questions to make sure you are a suitable candidate for that pet/specific breed. Be prepared to discuss things like: your activity levels, working schedule, frequency of travel, knowledge and understanding of the breed, home size and location, previous experience with pets etc.
- The responsible breeder will let you see the animal in its home surroundings.
- Try to see the animal’s mother and father as well if possible. This is a basic precaution against unethical breeders and animal farmers!
- Remember, animals from registered and responsible breeders can be expensive. If purchasing the animal is out of your budget, we encourage you to adopt from the local rescue centres and animal shelters.
- The responsible breeder will sell you the animal with a written contract that includes the heath guarantee and vaccination records ( if your breeder is pro vaccionation). Make sure you read and understand the terms! The breeder will also send you the pedigree papers. This will happen once you have you animal altered. If you are buying a pet already neutered or sprayed, the pedigree papers will come along with the contract.
- Inspect the animal thoroughly before the purchase. Check for any signs of illness, skin sores and fleas if appropriate. The animal should be well socialized, active and with eyes free of any discharge. Bring the animal to your veterinary within few days of purchase to confirm its health.
- Do not take less than 8 weeks old cat or dog from its home. A responsible breeder will most likely wait 10-14 weeks.
- When you bring the animal home, make sure you follow the breeder´s instructions with respect to care and food carefully. Changing environment can be very stressful for your pet.
- Love and take care of your pet, especially when it is sick or getting old. Remember, any permanent separation from you will be devastating and painful for your pet!
- If you suspect you are dealing with unethical breeder, please let us know.