Pickapaw Code of Ethics
We understand how important it is to maintain a good reputation of a responsible breeder. We are striving to create a community of ethical breeders and to promote responsible pet ownership. Please help us with this mission by adhering to the Code of Ethics below:
- You should not, without prior disclosure, to the best of your knowledge and ability sell any pet who is sick, has been exposed to an infectious disease or has not attained a proper level of immunity against common infectious diseases.
- You should interview the potential buyer to understand the buyers' intention and what environment the animal will be living in.
- Make sure you sell the animals directly to the new pet owner and in a manner that will enable you to contact the buyer and provide on-going education and advice. The breeder should check that the buyer has a solid information foundation about the breed and animal care prior to the purchase.
- We do not allow to sell kittens and puppies until they are at least 8 weeks of age. This is the minimum age at which they should leave their mother.
- Only purebred animals are allowed to be listed on the website. The animals should be advertised in the correct breed category. The Animal Pedigree Act makes it a federal offense to sell an animal of a recognized breed as, purebred, registered, or eligible to be registered if it is not. Only registered pets can be advertised. The breeder is obligated to provide a duly transferred certificate of registration to the buyer not later than three months after the sale.
- Responsible breeding is costly, hence we do not allow to transfer animals for free. The minimum purchase price for a puppy or a kitten is $500.
- When advertising puppies and kittens, you should allow the new owner to view them at home with their mother and father if possible. You shouldn´t arrange to meet buyers at locations other than your home. If a buyer requires the animal to be shipped, please get an appropriate pet transportation insurance and take every precaution to make sure that the animal is transported in comfortable and secure conditions.
- Pets cannot be advertised if they have been or will be imported from other countries.
- Do not advertise any banned pet breeds and animals that are on the endangered species list.
- Pickapaw does not allow the sale of cats or dogs by Pet Stores.
- Pets that are pregnant should not be advertised through the website.
- Pickapaw is against unethical treatment of animals. We will listen very closely to our community for any reports of unhealthy animals that were offered for sale or purchased.
- To join the website you need to be registered in one of the below professional associations:
Dogs: Canadian Kennel Club (CKC), American Kennel Club (AKC), United Kennel Club (UKC), The Kennel Club (TKC), Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI), Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB), International Sheep Dog Society (ISDS), American Border Collie Association (ABCA)
Cats: Cat Fanciers Association (CFA), The International Cat Association (TICA), Canadian Cat Association (CCA), American Cat Fanciers Association (ACFA), Governing Coucil of the Cat Fancy (GCCF), Fédération Internationale Féline (FIFe)