The modern Cocker Spaniel dates back to quaint times belonging to the Spaniel family. As is evident from the name, the Spaniel family originated in Spain with two types of Spaniel dogs- The toy breed (companion dogs) and the hunting spaniels. The Cocker Spaniel got its name from its accurate hunting of the woodcock. The English Cocker Spaniel was a very popular brand in England and it got recognized as a breed in 1892. The Americans then started importing the breed to the US and soon it became the most popular breed from the 1930’s to 1950’s. And after facing a sad phase in popularity for 3 decades, it regained popularity back after the 1980’s.
The Cocker Spaniel has a very soft and juvenile personality. It fits into the family just like one of your children and gets along with each and every family member. This cuddly breed very well knows how to display affection and care for the members. The breed is okay with long distance walks or field hunting, anything which makes the owner happy. With such a sweet temperament, it responses fairly well to humble training methods and can get grumpy with the harsh ones.
- Activity Level: 4/5 (playful)
- Intelligence Level: 4/5 (highly intellectual)
- Curiosity: 3.5 (moderately curious)
- Friendliness: 4/5 (highly affectionate)
- Vocal: 4/5 (quite barky at times)
This handsome breed of dogs is so beautiful that you just can’t take your eyes off of it. It is such a cheerful breed which would please you more than anything. Its long, lustrous coat is glamorous and it can fit in your house just like a stuffed toy, with the only difference that this one would have life in it. It’s long hanging ears and the button-like eyes are a true gem to its personality.
- Fur: This well-groomed breed has a plush, wavy coat which is short on the head and back and extremely long on the belly, legs, ears and chest. The coat varies from white to black or red to light cream. Also, it comes in parti-color with white being a constant.
- Eyes: The American Cocker Spaniel has shiny light brown eyes which are round in shape.
- Body Structure: The breed has a sturdy and compact body with gorgeous looking coat all over the body.
- Facial Features: This joyful and merry dog has a ton of expressions to make. It will always keep you entertained with its eye movements and amusing noises.
- Weight: The American Cocker Spaniel weighs around 24-28 pounds.
Health and Care
The American Cocker Spaniel is susceptible to various infections and diseases. They are prone to a large number of eye infections such as cataracts, glaucoma etc. and taking them to the vet immediately for check-up if you notice any such thing is the wisest call. Primary Seborrhea is another such fatal ailment which results in overproduction of skin cells. Diagnostic tests for this disease recommend medicated baths and various such medications.
The maintenance of a Cocker Spaniel is quite an expensive hobby. The beautiful looking coat has to be daily brushed and seeking professional help would though cost you a lot, but would ensure the breed’s well- being.
We have gathered this information from our breeders based on their experience with this breed. However, remember that each animal is different with its own personality and needs (just like people!), so use this information wisely.
Do you know more about this breed and want to share your knowledge with us? Send us an email at email@example.com