The Stumpy has a unique place as the drover’s dog in the agricultural farms; it evolved during 1830. Its ancestors were developed when drover named ‘Timmins’ interbreed Dingo and the Smithfield; to develop the breed that could move the untamed cattle over the rugged terrain. It resulted in red bob tailed dogs, ‘Timmins Bitters’, which was headstrong and hard bitter. Its progeny when interbreed with Blue Merle Smooth Collie; resulted in development of stumpy. The stumpy is considered as the best working dog over the world due to its strong traits of gentle personality and obedience.
The stumpy is watchful, free-spirited, alert, energetic and watchful dog. It is brave and trustworthy and has strong ability to control the cattle. It is an intelligent dog which develops serious behavioral problem if is bored.
- Activity Level: 4/5 (highly active)
- Intelligence Level: 4.5/5 (almost genius)
- Curiosity: 4.5/5 (very curious)
- Friendliness: 4/5 (highly affectionate)
- Vocal: 3/5 (can be vocal at times)
The stumpy is a dog with pricked ears and long legs. It is usually a tail-less dog, or may have every small tail which is not docked. The coat is short to medium length, and is harsh and coarse. The head is in proportion with the body. The ears are set wide apart and are broad at the base. It has strong neck and wide chest. Feet are around and toes are short.
- Fur: The fur is strong, dense and harsh. The colour of coat can be either red speckled with dark red marking on the head or blue speckled with blue marking on the head.
- Eyes: The eyes are medium sized and are oval in shape.
- Body Structure: The body is medium sized and it has a level back which often slopes at the end.
- Facial Features: The nose is black and is of the colour according to the body.
- Weight: The weight is about 16 to 23 kg.
The stumpy dog can have a particular form of Spina Bifida which is known as "Spina Bifida Ventralis". It is regarded as a defect of the spinal canal which can lead to defective development of the abdomen and thorasic viscera. It may lead to faulty formation of the underside of the spine leading to defective development of the internal organs.
Exercise and activity is paramount for it, in absence of which it becomes destructive and bored. They can be taken for long walk as they have very good stamina. The shorthaired and weather-resistant coat requires very little care and it is very easy to groom. They can be just combed and brushed with a firm bristle brush, require bath only when necessary. The breed also tends to shed its coat, depending on the sex and region; either once or twice per year.
We have gathered this information from our breeders based on their experience with this breed. However, remember that each animal is different with its own personality and needs (just like people!), so use this information wisely.
Do you know more about this breed and want to share your knowledge with us? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org